During the Christmas holidays it is almost impossible to stop eating fritters, custard, tamales and other delicacies that, however, result in several extra kilos. Not surprisingly, losing weight, regaining one's figure and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are some of the main New Year's resolutions for Colombians.
For that reason, we want to give you four tips that will make 2019 a year full of fulfilled promises.
- According to the Ministry of Health, the 56% of Colombian adults suffer from excess weight.
- According to figures from the Ministry of Health, only the 50% of Colombian adults perform the amount of physical activity recommended by the World Health Organization.
- A person can climb on average about 3 K during the holidays, notes the British Dietetic Association.
- Losing the kilos gained on vacation can take up to 5 months, says a study from Cornell University.
- The Statistical Institute for Brain Research claims that only the 2% of people feel they have fulfilled their New Year's resolutions.
Tip 1: Eat a balanced diet
To get your figure back after the end of the year holidays, it is essential to follow a balanced diet that suits your characteristics and needs, and that allows you to control the amount of calories consumed.
In general, men should consume about 2,500 calories a day.
Women should consume, on average, about 2,000 calories a day.
To control calories
– Include more liquids in your meals, such as soups and water. They will help you feel more satisfied.
– Increase your fiber intake, as it is not easily digested and the intestine only absorbs half of its calories.
– Add protein to your breakfast.
– Limit empty calories. These are usually found in added sugars and solid fats.
– Read food labels for macronutrient and calorie content.
Tip 2: Drink enough water
Keeping the body hydrated is vital to leading a healthy life. In fact, it is advisable to always have a bottle of water within reach. If you like, you can add citrus, cucumber slices or green tea for more refreshing drinks. It is recommended to drink 1.8 liters of water daily.
Tip 3: Get enough sleep
Try to sleep between seven and nine hours each night and respect your sleep schedule. In this way, your body will rest as necessary and regulate its vital cycles.
To sleep well...
- Avoid screens 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Include a routine every night that helps you relax, such as dimming the lights, listening to music, or doing light stretches.
- Block unnecessary light, for example with curtains black out.
Tip 4: Exercise
Doing low or high intensity sports for 20 or 30 minutes a day will allow you to regulate your appetite, improve your physical condition and prevent cardiovascular diseases, in addition to burning a good amount of calories.
- Cycling allows you to burn 119 to 231 calories in 30 minutes.
- Running burns 282 to 374 calories in 30 minutes.
- Swimming allows you to burn around 197 calories in 30 minutes.